Thursday, February 11, 2010

How do I fight what appears to be some sort of fungus on my tomatoes?

I have two tomatoe plants growing in pots on my deck. They are big and have plenty of tomatoes on them, but on everyone I am finding that underneath, they are brown and mushy. I have guessed this to be some sort of fungus. How can I save my remaining tomatoes?How do I fight what appears to be some sort of fungus on my tomatoes?
Too much water and no drainage on the pots will cause blossom end rot..after treating the soil..make sure the ots have drainage..I put coffee filters in the bottom of my pot grown veggies then take about an inch of gravel and put over the filters..this allows drainage/plus keeps the soil in the pot from washing out..also make sure the pots are not sitting on bare concrete or wood..for the water cannot drain properly that way either..put some brick chunks under the pots to keep them raised..3 chunks will balance bbetter than4 evenly spaced....How do I fight what appears to be some sort of fungus on my tomatoes?
My wife sprays with kelp.
There are numerous, organic aids and sprays but what is most important is that your plants receive good air circulation.





Please, trim off every single leaf, or stem that does not have buds or fruit by now. Anyhting you see wilting and sick, cut it off too. You will basically peel that stem bare, except for the flowers and fruits. Once you do that, let the air move through and you'll see that the plants will be much more healthier!





Keep them standing upright, in a cage or attached to a stake. That way, it could rain each day and you'll have no worries about fungal infections. Good luck!





PS: Like someone mentioned above, brown spots on tomatoes could reveal a calcium deficiency. You can spray some calcium that you can get at your local nursery, and/or feed some bone meal
try 7 dust on them it helped mine
If, by ';underneath'; you mean the bottom of the tomatoes, you are experiencing ';blossom end rot'; and it's not a fungus, but rather a systemic problem that usually affects the first tomatoes of the season.





Look at the entry on our blog entitled ';Why are my tomatoes turning black?';





Visit our blog at-


http://www.gardening-at-the-crossroads.c鈥?/a>





Good Luck and Happy Gardening from Cathy and Neal!
Get a harmless anti-fungal spray!
If your saying the tomato itself is brown and mushy, you have a calcium deficiency in your soil.





Go to your local home and garden center and ask for a calcium booster for your soil (and you want liquid). The tomatoes already growing you may not save, but the future ones you will.





Note: Some garden supply stores know this condition as being called ';blossom end rot';.

No comments:

Post a Comment