Thursday, February 11, 2010

I have a freshwater tank and it has a fungus infection. What would be the best way to clean the decorations?

I want to try to clean it so that the fungus dosent stay on the ornaments and so it dosen't reinfest the tank.I have a freshwater tank and it has a fungus infection. What would be the best way to clean the decorations?
Bleach is the perfect fungus killer but there are a couple things to watch out for. Plastic/PolyResin ornaments can be bleached and cleaned off fairly safely but there are some things to be careful of.





Rocks like lavarock and limestone can absorb the bleach because they are pourous. So can driftwood. Usually rinsing is not enough to ensure these are ready to go back to the tank. The safest techniqe is to soak it in bleach for 24 hours then a pure water bath for 2 to 7 days. A dechlorinator in the water can help speed up that process. Also completely drying the ornament in the sun is reccomened. I know this seems time consuming but you do not want to add bleach to your tank as it will quickly kill your fish.I have a freshwater tank and it has a fungus infection. What would be the best way to clean the decorations?
No Problem, Any Time!

Report Abuse



It would be fine if you just scrube them with a sponge (no soap) and then just rinse them throughtly with hot water.
Every time I clean my freshwater tank I soak my tank decorations in a solution of 5 gallons water and 1/4 - 1/2 cup bleach. It literally cleans all the yucky black build up off my decorations. I make sure after they are clean that I rinse them really good. I have a well established tank - several years old and this is what was advised to me when I set it up. I think it would also help your fungus issue. Good luck.
first you have to get the water tested before you put the fish in the water/buy then\m

No comments:

Post a Comment