Sunday, February 7, 2010

What do I do about fungus on the surface of the dirt of my young bonsi tree?

It is a juniper (about five years old). I thought it was staying too wet so I let the soil dry and scrpped the fungus off...it came back. Please advise.What do I do about fungus on the surface of the dirt of my young bonsi tree?
You are on the right track. Keep the soil surface dryer and take the fungus off as you see it. Eventually the fungus will decompose the organic matter that it is growing on and dissappear. Chemicals should not be used, as the fungus is throughout the soil and is not actually harmful to your tree. If the soil becomes crusted with the fungus, then simply removing it will allow air and water to penetrate.What do I do about fungus on the surface of the dirt of my young bonsi tree?
It may not be a fungus. It may be moss, which look very good.
leave it alone. It shows the soil is alive and viable.
If your bonsai were in an open garden, I'd agree with the leaving it alone answer. But if it's in a pot, it's very reliant on that small amount of medium to keep it alive, and any nutrients the fungus is eating, your juniper is not.





Mix some Physan 20 to half the recommended strength in a bucket, and soak your entire plant for an hour. This works for orchids which are grown in bark, so it should work for a juniper.

No comments:

Post a Comment