Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Wierd orange fungus on my pine tree - what is it? How do I get rid of it?

It appeared in late spring, it looks like grey ball shaped growths that sprout this vile looking orange colored shoots, so it looks like a star. Totally gross, and my pine (which is a cedar or cypress pine) is not looking too hot anymore. What is it and how do I help this tree? I would hate to have to cut it down. By the by, living in central Connecticut. Thanks!Wierd orange fungus on my pine tree - what is it? How do I get rid of it?
It sounds to me like what you have is Cedar-Apple Rust. This ';rust'; is caused by a fungus. Most likely your cedar is not the only plant infected in the neighborhood. In fact, ask your neighboors if they have any apple trees (anything in the Apple family: Crabapple, Hawthorne, Apple trees - even Quince shrubs) that have small, rust colored spots on the foliage (plants in the apple family are an alternate host to the disease). You can indeed destroy the diseased plant or you can call your local agricultural extension agent and ask them for recommended fungicide applications.


In the future, look for varieties that are resistant to Cedar-Apple Rust.Wierd orange fungus on my pine tree - what is it? How do I get rid of it?
cutr down the tree its a parasite, put me as the best comment i stayed up all nite studying for this on one of my school tests
check this site to see if what you have is cedar apple rust ... not much point acting on the infection unless you know what it is for sure ... The site has lists of resistant cultivars.
It is infecting only part of the tree, right? If it is new take it back to the nursery and they will give another one. If it is older, what you have is dutch elm disease. Travels under ground. Symptoms include sudden death of part of a tree. The leaves die suddenly and stay dead on the tree. In your case the needles die suddenly. Your tree went into stress for some reason and could not fight off the disease. It is very common and happens everywhere. I happen to live in Missouri but I go to Ct. a lot. Look around your area. See anything similar? And go to a trusted nursery.

No comments:

Post a Comment