Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Please identify this fungus on the trunk of a tree in my backyard?

There is a white fungus on the base of a large tree in my backyard. I took pictures of it, but there is nowhere to post them on Yahoo Answers. I have an Ortho Gardeners book that seems to identify it as Armillaria root rot (oak root fungus). It says there is nothing I can do but make sure it doesn't spread to nearby trees by removing the tree and destroying the root system. It says that if the tree isn't that badly damaged, that I can remove the soil and cut out the wood in that area. Is that correct? Does anybody have experience with this and have any advice?Please identify this fungus on the trunk of a tree in my backyard?
If the fungus if fan shaped and flat against the tree, After you peel off some bark to look at it. Also, if you have light tan mushrooms, real ones blooming at the base of the tree, then you have OAK FUNGUS, Cut down the tree, destroy Burn the wood and then have some one cover the spot with Methyl Bromide! SORRY!


If you don't have any fan shaped stuff crawling up the tree under the bark and you never had any mushroom blooms at the base of the tree, then chances are that you don't have Oak Fungus.


If you do have it...look on the UP side, the mushrooms are eatable AFTER they are cooked and are quite good!Please identify this fungus on the trunk of a tree in my backyard?
Best of Luck, Bugsie!

Report Abuse



root rot is bad get rid of the tree stuff like that has killed off alot of trees in the forests outside my city best way to prevent it from spreading is to remove the tree. . . may sound extrmeme like cutting off your foot if u have atheltes foot but its the only way to go
  • web hosting servers
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment