Thursday, February 11, 2010

How can I prevent my shower curtain from getting mildew/fungus?

My bathroom hasn't got any ventilation and my shower curtain is made of a plastic kind of substance(I don't know what you call it!). Even though I straighten my shower curtain after every shower, it collects mildew/fungus kind of substance and has got black spots all over. I am not sure if I can wash it in the washing machine. Any help will be appreciated.How can I prevent my shower curtain from getting mildew/fungus?
fill up the bathtub with water and some bleach (make sure it won't ruin the color on your curtain first) and soak your curtain in there. Maybe in the future try using one of those shower sprays that you can spray on the walls and curtain everytime after you shower. also they sell anti-mildew liners now.How can I prevent my shower curtain from getting mildew/fungus?
Wash your shower curtain in the washer with a load of towels. Also Clorox has a new bathroom cleaner......I keep a bottle in the shower (we have glass doors though). Spray the shower curtain after you shower, make sure there's ample ventilation in your bathroom.......by opening a window a bit or running the fan.
Everyone has the right answer. But if it's already spotted black I wouldn't bother as often if the bleach cleans it it also lightens it. Just get a new one %26amp; put it in the washer every month or so.





I also have a small bath with little ventilation. There's a small stick up (by airwick I think) that you can stick on the wall that's great. Since the toilet is at the far end I stick it there. Whenever I clean or there's a bad smell I push it %26amp; a mist comes up. Then I close the door. Within minutes it has the whole bathroom smelling fresh. I use the powder room scent because it's not overpowering like the others and it lasts for a month or better. It's the best $4. I ever spent. I love it.





Another good idea is to have a hanging or potted plant in there. They thrive on %26amp; draw out the humidity and so you don't have as big of a problem.
Bleach is and always will be the best cleaner. Since its plastic just soak in a 20% mix of bleach and water. This will kill everything. To keep it clean buy a empty spray bottle ($1 at Wal-mart) and fill it with a 10% mix. Spray occasionally.
Straightening it out is a good start, but unless you are removing the moisture from the room--like with a vent fan, run for at least 20 minutes after your shower--you are going to get mildew.





Fortunately, it's easy to wash a plastic curtain or liner. Put it in the machine with 1/2 cup of bleach and 1/2 cup of baking soda. Run it through a normal cycle. During the rinse add one cup of white vinegar. Let it spin out and take it out. It will look like a mess-- all wrinkly-- but the wrinkles will fall out as it hangs. Hang it back up and it will look brand new.
To clean the curtain: You probably can wash it in the machine. Set it on gentle, and use warm water, detergent, and Oxycleen, which works miracles on most everything. Put some other things in the washer, like sneakers, or at least some towels, to help the washing process.





To prevent mildew: that's harder. I'm surprised the bathrm doesn't have ventilation. I thought the building code in most cities requires either a window or an exhaust fan.


Anyway, you could try running a fan in the room after you shower. Dry yourself off first so you don't get electrocuted! Keep the bathroom door open for a few hours. Shake the extra moisture off the curtain and make it hang outside the tub. There are also shower sprays you can use after you shower to keep mildew from building up.
Yes! Works great. Run it through the washing machine (add some clorox) and its as good as new. (Don't put it in the dryer).
plastic shower curtains can be washed in the machine ..i dont think you will get the mould spots off you one ..maybe invest in a new one and wash it regular
I put mine in the washing machine on normal cycle and comes out pristine, hang immediately to prevent crinkles.
This is the problem , you have no ventilation, but not that it would help much, it happen麓s sooner or later. You can wash most shower curtain麓s in your machine , but it won麓t rid the mildew. The sun kills of mildew, and lemon juice added to the stains , then exposed to the sunlight will help. I have plenty ventilation in my bathroom, but the same thing happened to my shower curtain. I spend so much money on buying new ones, in the end I had shower door fitted. Easier to clean, and saves money
Hllo lav yo
Just take the curtain down, put it through the washine machine and when you use it next, pull out the curtain so that it can dry.


ALWAYS leave the bathroom door open after a shower if you don't have a window.


Mildew/mould simply cannot survive in the face of ventilation and heat.
Put the shower curtain in the washer once a week.
spray it down with bleach.
you can get a mildue spray from a supermarket (i got mine from sainsburys but any one will probably sell it) the cheapest online i have found is at the screwfix website





its 拢4.49 for 1 or 拢23.94 for 6 (not that you will need 6)





its at http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=95861
put in the washing machine on a low heated wash or just take the curtain down and clean it by hand with a mild bleach mixed in water
Yes you can clean it in the washing machine. Saw it on TV once and i tried it and it worked. Just pop it in the washing machine with biological washing powder as the enzymes in it will help to clean it, with a squirt of bleach in the drawer as well. Pop a couple of old towels in the washing machine too, as this helps when they rub against it in the wash, and it should come out nice and clean. Hope this helps!
I have had the cheapest shower liners and more expensive ones, and I have always washed them in the washing machine. Just wash both the liner and the curtain together (even your window curtains if you have) on gentle cycle, warm water. And when they are done, hang back up in your shower (they will dry while hanging). :)

No comments:

Post a Comment