Sunday, February 7, 2010

How do I get rid of FUNGUS GNATS ?

I have what I think ( From searching on the internet, ) fungus gnats all over my plants. They crawl and fly a bit all over the top of the soil and around the pot, up the wall, etc. How do I get rid of these as normal bug spray isn't working.How do I get rid of FUNGUS GNATS ?
Actually there are not that difficult to rid of as you may think, the only problem is that you have to be consistent.





Simple soapy water (washing up liquid) does the trick and does not harm the plant or you . Also the wash up liquid helps the plant to absorb more water which is good especially if it is root bound. However you may have to do this regulary until there are none left.How do I get rid of FUNGUS GNATS ?
eat them
Change the compost in your pot plants %26amp; then stop over watering them.
You can also use ';mosquito dunks'; which is BT. Add 1/4 of a dunk to your watering can. This kills larvae in all your plants.


It's available (should be!) at any good garden center or online.
get some hydrogen peroxide and mix it with water and spray the plants. this will kill mold, fungus, small bugs, bacteria, viruses.





you can also try using vinegar. same as above.
They breed in the moist potting soil. One solution is to let your plants really, really dry out. I didn't find that too effective as whenever I watered the plant they started hatching again. The adult gnats can live 7-10 days.





Another solution is drenching the soil with Diazinon. I think this has been pulled from the market in the US, but if you are in a different country you may be able to find it.





The product I ended up using is called Gnatrol. It is a bacteria that kills the larva of the fungus gnats, but is non toxic to almost everything else. I mixed it up per the package directions and watered the plants with the mixture whenever they needed to be watered. It still takes a week or so for the adult gnats to die, but after that I noticed a great improvement. This is the stuff they use in commercial greenhouses to keep the gnats under control.
  • web hosting servers
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment