Sunday, February 7, 2010

What can I do about a horse that keeps getting the same fungus?

I called a vet last summer and he put my horse on an I-V. It cleared up the fungus, but it came back again this year. The horse is 11 years old. Is it normal?What can I do about a horse that keeps getting the same fungus?
Many years ago, we would clear up fungus infections with a mixture of clorox and water dabbed on each fungus spot. Today, we simply use athlete's foot cream in a tube and it does a good job. The trick is to keep dabbing it on at least twice every day. Fungus infections can be stubborn but if you don't give up you can cure it.What can I do about a horse that keeps getting the same fungus?
Okay, here I go AGAIN! IF you're really tired of all the daily paint ons and vet charges, this has worked for decades and I don't know a single horse who ever got sick from it.





Well if you're willing to try anything, here's a decades old remedy for it... Motor oil (New or used). Simply paint your pony with it and it will kill the fungus. Leave it on at least a month and within 2 weeks of painting it on, you'll see new hair growing in hairless spots.
my horse gets it all the time...yes its normal, what i do in the summer when it happens the most I give my horse a iodine bath every once and a while, but I ALWAYS wash the fungus with the iodine everytime i wash her off, or if it gets real bad we had to this one time and it did help but it just killed me to watch, everytime we washed her off we had to pour a little alcohol on it, they jump at first but they get use to after a while.....hope this could help.
you have't really given to much in the way of details, what type of fungus,where it was situated etc.





The best advice I can give if you are unsure is to call your vet back out or ring them for free advice.
My friends horse had the rain rot fungus for a couple of months.She got rid of it by regularly washing her horse,and keeping away from others-it is very contagious.
What type of fungus? And where? I know of some remedies for certain things...so a little more info and I could try to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment