Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What is this fungus on my oak tree & what do I do?

There was a small crack-like on the base of my HUGE oak tree just about a foot off the ground. A strange yellow-orange fungus came out of it about the size of my thumb. Now the fungus is a cluster of big cap-like things that would take two hands to hold. There are alot of slugs around it too. The tree otherwise is pretty healthy. We have had alot of damp weather lately too. What is this %26amp; what do I do?What is this fungus on my oak tree %26amp; what do I do?
Laetiporus sulphureus, a beautiful fungus with common names Sulfur Shelf or Chicken of the Woods. It is very common on oaks and causes a destructive heart rot that that will hollow out the tree. The bad news is you can't do anything to prevent it or get rid of it, but it seldom kills an otherwise healthy tree. The good news is it will reappear about this time every year. Why is this good you ask? Because it is a gourmet mushroom much prized by mycophiles like myself and slugs. If you smell it, it will smell like raw chicken, when cooked it tastes like chicken, really! Always have an expert confirm any wild mushroom before eating. You can usually find someone in a local ';mycological society'; or ';mushroom club'; in your area eager to help. Remember, there are old mushroom hunters and bold mushroom hunters, but no old and bold mushroom hunters. RScottWhat is this fungus on my oak tree %26amp; what do I do?
just scrap it off as it appears. and wash the area with one part bleach, and 5 parts water!
  • web hosting servers
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment