Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Why are fungus / mushrooms growing in my yard?

I have a cute tree in my backyard which is only a few years old so it's still on the small side. Around the base of the tree, we've planted moss since this is a shaded area of the yard but lately when I've been weeding, I've noticed that there are some weird mushroom liike white things growing by the base of the tree and in the moss. I've never planted mushrooms so I don't know how they're supposed to grow - when I see these weird fungus/mushroom things, I pull them out of the ground and dispose of them. What does it mean that these are growing by my tree? What should I be doing here?Why are fungus / mushrooms growing in my yard?
The previous answerer probably hit the nail on the head by saying you brought the fungus in, in the moss you planted. Considering the fact you are referring to these as weird fungus/mushroom type things I wonder if you don't have a type of puffball mushroom growing since they often confuse people because they have no stem. As long as its not a stinkhorn which is very evident because it stinks to the high heavens and attracts carion eaters, then I would continue to just pluck the fungus from the moss carpet and the problem should be less next year as you are removing the spores and keeping them from reproducing. However I suggest you do some research and find out if this is a beneficial fungi. All plants are companions with some type of fungi. Fungi are nitrogen fixers and often aid in delivering nutrients from the soil to the plants. Mushrooms as well provide carbon dioxide to the plants they grow near. I would if I were you not worry so much about a sporadic outbreak of fungi as It is just part of the plant/fungi's ecosystem and can only mean good health to your little backyard biosphere.Why are fungus / mushrooms growing in my yard?
fungus like you described likes dampness- it may have had spors in the moss. I'd remove that moss, let the surface dry, then put wood chips arouhnd the tree to help retain moisture.


Maybe something like redwood bark? Water deeply then allow it to dry a bit.
If you have mushrooms growing, all is well in your garden. They are breaking down woody material in your mulch, think of it as composting in place. They are nearly impossible to get rid of without damage to your garden, as 98% lives out of sight, the mushroom is like a flower. If you don't like them you can pick them or just leave them be, they will be gone soon, and won't be back until next year. RScott
  • web hosting servers
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment