Thursday, February 11, 2010

Should I take my plants out While Treating my tank for Fungus?

I have a small amount of fungal growth in my tank. I have live plants, should I take them out? It doesn't say on the bottle if it is safe for plants or not?Should I take my plants out While Treating my tank for Fungus?
Definitely a good question but no you shouldn't. Although it seems like it would be a bad idea to medicate the plants taking them out would be worse when you uproot them. Also plants do not take in medicine the way we do so unless there is repeated exposure they should be fine. Good luck!Should I take my plants out While Treating my tank for Fungus?
Fungus in your tank or on your fish? If it's just in your tank it may be hair algae which should go away on its own once phosphates normalize. Or it may be this white stringy stuff that grows on driftwood, your fish may eat it and either way it doesn't harm them. I've never heard of treating fungus in your tank with medication... only fish, and if you have a fish medication that you're adding without it being needed that's a VERY bad idea. Any chemicals you add can harm or kill your fish, so I suggest not adding it. Scrape the fungus off by hand.
That is a good question. I am currently treating one of my tanks for fungal infections, but it hadn't occurred to me to take plants out first! Having said that, even if you removed the plants, any fungus could still remain on them, so probably not a good idea to put them back in the tank anyway, imo. But what would I know? I'm a relative novice at fish-keeping. Good luck
i would definitely take them out. some medications are harmful to plants. if you planted the roots well in a small plastic container and let them grow there then removing and replanting them will be a breeze. and to the other question the guy ask earlier fungus staying on the plant, well fungus grows on a specific environment removing the plant and flushing and letting them stay with safe clean water for 3-6 hours max (preferably a day old chlorine free) will weaken the fungus eventually killing them when you put them back in the tank. hope that helps :)

No comments:

Post a Comment