Friday, February 5, 2010

How can I rid my Japanese Maple of fungus >?

It's about fifteen foot tall. The once beautiful crimson %26amp; green leaves had holes throughout last fall and edges looking prematurely brown. A so called expert said there was'nt much I could do without spending a fortune, and then not much hope. Is there a spray or something I could purchase from a nursery and do it myself ?How can I rid my Japanese Maple of fungus %26gt;?
Definitely sounds like a fungal problem induced by weather conditions. More likely than not anthracnose... a very common weather induced foliar disease on all maples. Just make sure you clear away the foliage from last year as it can carry over from year to year by the spores from the old foliage contaminating the new. If you start to notice it again this year I would suggest spraying it with a copper based fungicide.How can I rid my Japanese Maple of fungus %26gt;?
I would not be that sure its a fungus. I would be more inclined to believe it has more to do with weather conditions than fungi.





Are their any other trees such as a maple or ash with invading roots. Those trees shoot out several hundred feet and Ive seen where sugar maples have literally nearly killed off a Japanese Maple when nearby.





You can certainly use wetable sulfur to control fungus so long as the temperature isnt above 88 Degrees F. You will need to get a power spray pump and a mix barrel to do that, similar to home orchard spray. I use sulfur on apple trees right up to end of June, then then fungi here in midwest subsides as the temp rises into the 90's and plenty of sunlight comes forth and lots of hot humid but very sunny days. One needs to be careful, but it certainly is effective and cheap and muchly used.








I would treat this tree with some fertilizer stakes about a foot apart on a diameter equal to the diameter of the tree's outside limbs. So a large tree, would be fertilized at a diameter of say 20 feet , if the tree line extends that far out since the root structure is out and beyond that that funishes the tree nutrients and water.
Wait a season, last yr my girlfriend had similar problems and many people came into her garden center asking about it. Apparently a really wet summer can cause it. I'm thinking that maybe if it is a shady area, the tree can't dry out, trim some of the other trees shielding it. If you are in New York, Cornell Research facility will test a sample for 15 bux. Look them up and call them for instructions on sending a sample if you are not a New Yawkah.

No comments:

Post a Comment