Tuesday, February 2, 2010

How do I get rid of fungus growing on top of the soil in one of my potted plants?

I have a small palm tree that I have kept indoors for over a year. It is a trooper. It stayed alive with no added water while I was evacuated from my house for 3 months. Just this month I noticed patches of white on the soil. I repotted it in a new and bigger pot and replaced all the soil. I used Miracle Gro potting mix. After just a few days the white path started forming again. Is is harmful. How do I get rid of it? What is it?How do I get rid of fungus growing on top of the soil in one of my potted plants?
Mold likes dark damp places with low air flow, so increase sunlight and air flow and make sure you have good drainage.How do I get rid of fungus growing on top of the soil in one of my potted plants?
try soaking the plant in water, Then replace the pot or wash it. Remember fungus are living bacteria so get rid of it if it hasn't gone away.
Look in the lawn and garden section...I am sure there is a product to treat the problem.
Baking soda sprinkled on top of the soil. watch for overwatering
Sprinkle some corn meal directly on the soil and gently water it in. The fungus will be gone in about 24 hours. If not repeat.
You need to replace the potting soil. It is infected with the virus. Also, clean the pot with 10% bleach solution (90% water) and rinse well. The plant may well be contaminated, too. You can use the bleach on the plant as well and it won't hurt it.
If your palm still looks good, then I wouldn't worry about it. There are good paths and bad ones, it could be a goodun. I have unusual fungi growing at different times of the year and I put it down to the soil conditoner I used in the pots. I guess you're going to have to keep your eye on the palm's progress.
Transplant the palm into fresh potting soil, Not Miracle Grow. Wash the pot out with 1 gallon of water with 3 tablespoons 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (first aid grade) not bleach. Then after you get it transplanted into the new soil, water in with the hydrogen peroxide water mix. Then sprinkle the cornmeal on top of the soil.





Peace, SSSSpaceman SSSpliff
Try removing as much of the soil on the plant as possible. Wash and disinfect pots with a bleach solution prior to planting. Use fresh soil to repot in a pot not too big for the plant. Also ensure your plants have adequate drainage, and that you are not watering too often.
You have to replace all the soil. This will be hard on your plant but the mold will kill it eventually anyway. It's probably worse under the topsoil. Also that mold is bad for you. Most poeple are allergic to it. You need a better watering system. People tend to have this problem when plants get overwatered and dried out too much in cycles.

No comments:

Post a Comment