Friday, February 5, 2010

How long does it take to get rid of goldfish fungus?

We have a lionhead goldfish with the white fuzzy fungus plus a white spot on his fin. We got the stuff you put in the tank (that fizzes and turns the water green) We have put in the treatments as directed (48 hours) and he is not getting worse, seems to be swimming and eating ok but I don't see where it is necessarily going away all that much either. We are supposed to do a 25 percent water change tonight, too.How long does it take to get rid of goldfish fungus?
I agree with the first post about the columnaris. True fungal infections are a secondary infection to an injury, bacterial infection, parasites, etc. I'd say 9 times out of 10 when you see a fungus on a fish, it's usually going to be columnaris-which is a bacterial infection thus needing an antibiotic for treatment. I'd recommend picking up a med like Maracyn Two, it's a tetracycline based med instead of the fungal treatment med. Here's a link that explains more about columnaris so you can compare the symptoms and look at the photos:





http://www.flippersandfins.net/flexibact鈥?/a>





.How long does it take to get rid of goldfish fungus?
It sounds like columnaris to me. That can take quite some time to fix up. Just dont stop the treatment until it is completely gone. When it was almost gone on my betta I stopped the treatment because it was stressing him out, thinking it would heal on its own, and the columnaris came back even stronger.
GOLDFISH R BORIN I KILLED MINE

No comments:

Post a Comment