Tuesday, February 2, 2010

What should I do for fungus from unfertilized eggs?

In my aquarium I had fish to lay eggs; and, I didn't realize that if not fertilized they would grow fungus, which they did. What do I need to do? I have vacuumed the gravel, but yet there seems to be quite a bit of the fungus floating in the water. The water seems to clear up after the filter catches up, but is there a treatment that I need to put in the tank or should I do a complete water change?What should I do for fungus from unfertilized eggs?
If you are sure this is a fungus and the problem is not going away by itself you can use Kordon Rid-Fungus. This is 100% oganic based and does not affect beneficial nitrifying bacteria. You can probably find this in any good local pet shop. Good luck.What should I do for fungus from unfertilized eggs?
i would get rid of the eggs. Its best not to use any meds in the tank as it can mess up your biological bacteria culture. Wait untill they drop new eggs and watch over those.
The fungus that you see attached to the eggs is a saprophyte, meaning it only attacks dead or dying tissue. It's almost always present in your tank, but unless your fish are extremely stressed or something dies, you have a lot of excess food lying on the bottom, or you get unfertilized eggs, you won't ever notice it.





Just do weekly partial water changes and keep up on regular tank maintenance and you don't need to add anything to remove the fungus.





NOTE: Just as an experiment for anyone who reads this and DOESN'T think their tank has the fungus, put some tank water in a glass and drop in a few sesame seeds and wait two days (the filaments are usually visible in one, but the growth is much better by the second).
Use some common types of fungal medication, found at your local pet store. Quick Cure ussually works for me. Hope this helps.
Yes, medication will clear up the fungus, but it will also kill all of the beneficial bacteria. If you can attempt to rid your tank of the fungus without resorting to meds, it would be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment